Notice from the Region of Peel
General Information Regarding Child Care Centre Closure
- Based on advice from Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, the Government of Ontario has declared an emergency under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.
- As a result of this, all licensed child care centres are required to close immediately until March 31st. After this date, the Government of Ontario will reassess and consider an extension if needed.
- Programs based in schools are closed until April 5th to coincide with the school closure date and the recommendations made by Peel Public Health.
- The closure does not apply to licensed home child care.
- The decision to charge families child care fees during the mandated closure is up to individual licensed child care providers. The Region of Peel, in its service system manager role, does not have any authority to determine fees nor fee policies.
- All licensed child care providers are required to have a Parent Handbook that is shared with families. The Parent Handbook must include policies regarding fees for service and what occurs in the event of a closure.
- Families are encouraged to speak to their child care provider regarding fees charged during the closure period.
- The Region understands that this is a difficult time for families and will do what it can to support those impacted by the closure.
For families or child care providers that have any questions/concerns, please direct them to email the Region at: EarlyYearsSystemDivision@peelregion.ca