Toque Campaign 2012-2013
Let’s put a cap on youth homelessness!
Youth homelessness is a national crisis – an estimated 65,000 young people across Canada do not have a place to call home. In Peel Region an estimated 3,500 young people are living on the streets.
- Most homeless youth come from unstable housing situations and unsafe family or guardian circumstances.
- 68% had previously been in foster care, or in group home placements.
- Most end up homeless because of family related issues such as poverty, violence, physical, psychological and sexual abuse, sexual and gender identity
- 63% grew up in a family with unstable housing
- Our Place Peel provides the only shelter for youth in the Peel Region. We provide short and long term shelter, educational supports and hope to youth ages 16-21.
- Each year Our Place Peel provides shelter for over 350 young people. Regrettably last year we had to turn away over 500 youth because our beds were full.
2) Your toque purchase funds real-life solutions
- Over the past 16 years toque sales have enabled Raising the Roof to grant close to $3.8 million to support the work of 145 community agencies serving the homeless in 70 communities across Canada.
- This year’s Our Place Peel’s Toque Campaign goal is to sell 3,250 toques across Peel Region
1 toque = two hot meals for young person living in the shelter
10 toques = the cost of a week’s enrolment in a life skills program
100 toques = provides one month of safe shelter for a young person who otherwise would live on our community’s streets
3) The Toque Campaign is a fun and easy way to provide financial support to Our Place Peel. Wearing your toque is a visible sign of support.
- Purchase a toque by contacting Christy Upshall, Executive Director Our Place Peel at email@example.com or 905 614-1215 x 201, or
- Purchase on-line at Raising the Roof